Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Our Family Got Bigger...Again!

Our little family has been growing so much lately and I love it! Now our family consists of Kevin  and me, our baby girl, Karis, Samson our big ole pup, brat cats Roxy and Stitch and our newest members...7 baby chickens!!! They are so adorable!  I have been wanting chickens for a couple of years but Kevin was never on board with the idea until now. We picked them up last night from a local family/farm. My intention was to get 6 babies, but the lady gave me one free since I was having a hard time deciding on my final chick pick. The extra one is probably good...these are considered straight run chicks, meaning we don't know if they are male or female! But not knowing the sex is a bad thing since I just want hens.  I guess only the big hatcheries have the ability to sex the chicks (and the shipping on  6 chicks from a hatchery was a whopping $35, umm no thanks!).I am hoping and praying that none are roosters since the reason for the chickens are for eggs (and pets). We have no use for roosters and they are way too noisy for our neighborhood(I really don't think my neighbors would appreciate hearing "cock-a-doodle-doooooo all the time!). If we end up with a roo we will have to sell/give it away (no, I will not eat it!) and then replace him with a hen. 

So far things are going well with them. I was a nervous chicken mommy last night, so worried that I would wake up with one less chick(and yes I checked on them during one of the times I woke up with Karis lol). Kevin and I love going out to watch them and hold them, Samson is obsessed (of course!), surprisingly Roxy and Stitch are scared of them and I can't tell yet what Karis thinks of t hem!  The lil chicks are not named yet but they will have names once I figure out their personalities! Oh , and the breeds we have are Barred Rocks, Rhode Island Reds and some crosses between the two. Now...Kevin just has a couple of months to build them a coop!







  
Samson is dying to play with them!



Well a post wouldn't be complete without a Karis update and pictures! She just hit 2 months and is about 12 pounds and super tall(not sure of measurement). I love mornings..she is so happy and smiley when she wakes up and will smile when she hears my voice :)  Yesterday she started noticing she has hands...her eyes get huge every time she looks down and notices her hands! It is too cute! She also laughed last night for the first time, at me making silly noises. She is just the greatest baby ever and I love her so much! :)

smiley, chubby baby!

this is her stretching, she does this allll the time, it's so cute

she really doesn't look this chubby in real life, must be the camera angle!

6 comments:

  1. Yay, chickens!! I miss ours so :( Prepare yourself for like likelihood of a few roos. We ended up with one, but he was nice to have around to keep the ladies in line. I'm so excited for you. I remember you asking about them about a year ago. You'll never want to go back to grocery store eggs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's so exciting! I love little chics. And Karis totally has her mommy's dimples when she smiles! Beautiful. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha. I was JUST saying this weekend that if we didn't live in a townhouse I'd love to have a hen or two. Grass-fed organic eggs are so stinking expensive. Enjoy them! Hopefully you have lots of hens!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those chics are soooo CUTE! How wonderful that you will have your own eggs soon! I will pray to the chicken Gods that you don't have any roosters. Bob and I lived in Key West for a season and they were EVERYWHERE! I don't know who made up the nonsence about roosters crowing at sunrise... well there do crow at sunrise... and at noon... AND at 3 in the morning. I once watched one fly up onto a fence and face in towards some unfortunate person's window to give them an early morning wake up call! I started to have detail fantasies about making them into soup.
    Karis is so beautiful. I love the bit about her hands. Just wait until she figures out that they will do her bidding :D
    The camera DOES make them look chubbier... I don't know why!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Bri...I don't mind a roo but I'm sure the neighbors would :( And I actually haven't has grocery store eggs in a couple of years... get mine at the farmers market!

    @Nina ...thanks!! Hope you are having fun, can't wait to see you.

    @Melissa...hopefully someday you'll be able to have some. Free range eggs ARE expensive...$4-5 a dozen around here!

    @Shakti...yes roosters do crow all the time! I'd be ok having one is it was just once in the morning!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stef, once I get ducks again I need to come visit and brin along some duck eggs and the duck(s) so you can try those too! Would love to see you sometime..it's been tooooo long!! :)

    ReplyDelete